Back-to-school season is amongst us, which means kids will be in school buses, walking, biking, or riding with their parents. Traffic congestion will be back and worse than ever, which means you have a larger responsibility to keep safe.
Follow some of these driving tips below to keep everybody in your community safer.
When driving in a school zone, be sure to do the following:
- Follow the speed limit as the speed is significantly lower in school zones.
- Keep away from distractions, including your phone.
- Pull over if you need to use your phone.
- Load and unload children in a safe location, away from traffic.
- Stop and yield to pedestrians crossing visible crosswalks or intersections.
- Be careful around parked cars and bike lanes.
- Carpool to reduce the pollution and traffic for school.
- Avoid blocking intersections and crosswalks. It is more dangerous for pedestrians to go around your vehicle.
- Be patient with school buses. They might drive slower than normal, but it is with good reason. Make sure you stop for school buses. It is illegal to pass school buses when they have their STOP sign-on.
- When driving behind a school bus, keep an extra and safe distance between the bus. Children need to safely enter and exit the bus.
If you are a parent or teen with a vehicle, make sure your car is safe for the back-to-school season. For all your automotive needs, including general safety inspections and maintenance, we invite you to Guthrie’s Auto Service today.